While some legal translation requests can be as simple as converting a single birth certificate from a source to a target language, others involve binders of documents required for extensive legal proceedings. Large projects can be very complex and require a higher degree of planning and management. Here are some tips to help you and your team achieve the most accurate legal translations for your most challenging cases.
Achieving Accurate Legal Translations
- Choose your translation vendor carefully. It’s imperative that you select the most qualified translator for your legal project and not base your decision on saving a few bucks. Automated translation services are insufficient for meeting the needs of lawyers and attorneys assisting their clients with complex matters. Instead, choose a vendor who has language fluency in the source and target language as well as expertise in the legal subject matter at hand.
- Understand how the translation vendor manages large projects. Before you hire a translation company, be sure to ask them specific questions about their processes for project management. Considering criteria such as bundling of assignments, feedback and update meetings, quality assurance review, and adherence to deadlines can make a big difference in who you decide to hire.
- Ask who will manage your project. Large-scale translation projects require a qualified project manager to oversee the workload. Be sure your translation company has someone available who will manage your project from start to finish successfully.
- Share your security requirements. The reality of modern technology is that sensitive and confidential information requires secure storage and transmission protocol. Start by understanding your own company’s requirements, and then share your service level agreement (SLA) with the vendor to ensure they use the proper technology to meet all security requirements.
- Refine your translation requirements. Work closely with your team to ensure you send the proper documents for translation. Sending too many or too few documents will result in everything from excess costs and time spent to poor legal outcomes from insufficient documentation. By choosing a translation company with expertise in the legal matter at hand, you’ll have a broader team onboard to help ensure you have everything in order without wasting resources.
- Be clear about your expectations. Whether you have a specific deadline you need to meet or your client requires a particular process to be followed, you must communicate your expectations about translation with your vendor. Always have a good idea of which expectations are negotiable and which are absolute.
- Build a glossary. Depending on your project, glossaries can be critical for accurate translations. Many legal translation services have the skills to assist you in creating one. Glossaries contain client-specific rules such as how currency should be written in the translated text or provide information explaining what project-specific product names, terminology, or other phrases mean.
- Ensure you receive the proper certifications. Many courts require the original text, translated text, and certification of the translator attesting to their linguistic competence and accuracy of the work.
Don’t trust your important translations to anyone less than the best.
For the most accurate legal translations, including SEC filings, choose a professional translation partner that combines language fluency and industry expertise, like The Perfect Translation. The Perfect Translation pairs our clients with professionals who have knowledge and expertise in the fields they are now translating for, including immigration, business, real estate, financial, academic, legal, and medical. We’ll make sure your legal translations are accurate the first time. Contact us today for a free quote!